Bring Dark Data in the Building Industry to Light – Take Advantage of Everything Your Building Data Has to Offer
Dark Data exists in all industries, but maybe even more so in the building industry. Gartner, inc., the world’s leading research and advisory company, defines Dark Data as "information assets organizations create or collect and store but generally don’t use for other purposes.” Dark Data in the building industry consists of construction plans and documents – an encyclopedia of buildings – that we all stored for many years.
About 90% of the building data we hold is dark data. Construction companies across the country create building drawings and documents used during the construction process every day. The question is, are we using this data afterwards, when the building is complete? Is there a place to house all building data at national level? The answer was no in the past. But today, the answer is yes – the ABR national GIS platform.
THE ISSUES WITH DARK DATA:
- Recreating drawings of existing conditions
- Associated costs with recreating drawings
- Missing out on our data’s fullest potential
- Not using past achievements to market our businesses
- Unnecessary time and money spent on searching for past building drawings and documents
- High risk of data loss
WHAT ABR OFFERS:
The ABR Drawing Vault is a GIS platform at national level. Building Industry companies can now house their final drawings in the Vault. With its controlled transparency environment, the ABR Drawing Vault is the U.S. national repository for all building data.
Transferring your building drawings and documents to the ABR Drawing Vault is an easy process.
- First sign up for one of our subscriptions – Free Individual or Free Organization subscription. We recommend the free organization subscriptions as it comes with some additional features, but the free individual one will work just as well.
- Upload your digital building drawings and documents in the ABR Drawing Vault
- Scan and upload your blueprints to the Drawing Vault. If you need assistance with scanning your blueprints, check our scanning, tagging, and uploading services
The benefits of a national repository of building drawings and documents are incredible. Adding to that the fact that the platform is in fact a GIS system and we have the first national GIS for building drawings and documents.
Go Back to View All ABR Use Cases
- National repository of building plans and drawings. AE firms, contractors and subcontractors, developers, general contractors, building management companies, municipalities are all welcome to store their building data on the ABR GIS platform
- ABR’s national GIS is built with a transparency layer, allowing ABR members to request drawings from one another
- Having a holistic view of historic construction data and building documents
- Making existing data accessible by industry constituents
- Using past achievements to market our businesses
- Regaining time and money that we spend today on searching for data
- Reducing the risk of data loss in the building industry at national level
- Utilizing our data to its fullest potential