Municipality Location and General Contact Information

200 N Spring St
Los Angeles CA 90012
Building Department information for City of Los Angeles, CA

Available Blueprints and Building Plans from America’s Building Records.
Use the map below to find and request drawings.

Want to make your building plans available here? Join ABR.

City of Los Angeles, CA - Building Department Information

The following Building Department information is available for City of Los Angeles, CA

Building and Related Codes and Amendments

Click here to view available building plans and blueprints for City of Los Angeles, CA on America's Building Records.

Last Updated on 1.6.2019

Effective January 1, 2017

Projects submitted after January 1, 2017 must comply with the 2017 LA City Codes. See all updated documents on the 2017 Code Documents page.

2017 Amendments


Green Building

As of January 1, 2011, the following type of projects are subject to the Los Angeles Green Building Code (LAGBC):

  • All new buildings (residential and non-residential)
  • All addition (residential and non-residential)
  • Alterations with building valuations of $200,000 or more (residential and nonresidential)
  • Residential alterations that increase the building's conditioned volume


The Construction Process

The full "Homeowner's Guide to Permits & Inspections" can be downloaded as a PDF here.

  1. Get zoning and property information from ZIMAS, an online research tool from the City Planning department.
    • If your property doesn't appear in ZIMAS, you may not be within the City of Los Angeles, and will require service from another County department. Use the Online Service Locator from the LA County Dept of Public Works to find out who services your area.
  2. Design your project and draw plans
  3. Submit plans and complete a permit application at an LADBS office
  4. Plans are approved by LADBS and a permit is issued, which may be picked up at an LADBS office.
  5. Construction begins, and inspections are requested while construction is occurring.
    • There are many different inspection types, and inspection requirements depending on the project. You must have an inspection done on relevant construction before any work is covered or concealed.
    • All inspections will be recorded on the Building Card (B-8), and plans must be present for each inspection.
  6. Final inspection is performed and a Certificate of Occupancy is issued.
    • Retain the Certificate of Occupancy and Building Card (B8) for your records

We Recommend  iDeal Sales CRM

We've reviewed and vetted iDeal CRM as best CRM for Contractors.
5 Reasonds Why Contractors User CRMs:

  1. Track a Sales Pipeline Effectively
  2. Build Relationships and Boost Productivity
  3. Improve the Sales Process
  4. Improve the Customer Service Experience
  5. Make Informed Decisions

Learn more about iDeal CRM and how you can accelarate your sales.

Try iDeal Free

Use discount code
and get 20% off
after trial expires

Permit Information and Forms

The information below is taken from the City of Los Angeles, CA website

Projects submitted after January 1, 2017 must comply with the 2017 LA City Codes. See all updated documents on the 2017 Code Documents page.

Apply for a Permit Online

Online Permits are for small projects that do not require plan check. Refer to the Express Permit Information Bulletin PDF to see if your project qualifies for Online Permit.

Permit Status
Look up Building and Safety-related information on a property such as:

  • Permits and related Inspections
  • Code Enforcement
  • Parcel Profile Attributes

Permit Applications

Licensing Information

The information below is taken from the City of Los Angeles, CA website

Register Your Business

All individuals or entities conducting business activities within the City of Los Angeles are required to apply for and obtain a Business Tax Registration Certificate with the City of Los Angeles, Office of Finance. You may also have to register with other Federal, State, and Local government agencies depending on the structure and location of your business.

1. City Registration

How to register

You may register your business with the City of Los Angeles either by visiting one of our service locations or utilizing our Online New Business Registration service.

To register, you will need to provide:

1. Your Social Security Number if your business is a Sole Proprietorship or your Federal Employment Identification Number (EIN) if your business is a Partnership, a Corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or a trust

2. A description of your business activities

3. Your legal business name and fictitious name (DBA) if any

4. Your business start date in Los Angeles

5. The exact business address and primary mailing address for your business location if different from the business location

6. Your business contact information

Please note that additional information may be required. Once you completed the registration process, you will receive a temporary Business Tax Registration Certificate or Registration Number. A permanent Business Tax Registration Certificate will be mailed within 4 to 6 weeks.

Depending on your business, you may also need to register for Police, Fire and/or Tobacco permits. The Office of Finance online application will help you identify whether these are necessary.

2. State Registration

If your business structure is a partnership, corporation, or limited liability (LLC), you must register or incorporate with the California Secretary of State.

3. Federal Registration

Most businesses must register with the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN). If you are not a US citizen, you may need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) instead.

4. Major Exempt Business Activities

  • Airlines-passenger/interstate air freight for businesses that deal in air commerce, which includes the transportation of passengers or property only
  • Constitutionally exempt businesses, such as state government institutions
  • State colleges and state universities
  • Court reporting/transcribing services performed under the control of a court of competent jurisdiction are treated like employees of the court
  • Non-profit businesses that qualify for 501 C3 exemptions with the Federal and State governments
  • Exemptions under LAMC Section 21.194, Transporting Persons For Hire:
    • Charter Party Limousines where the business address must be out of the City of Los Angeles(vehicle must be a limousine or luxury sedan only, seating capacity of no more than nine(9) including the driver)
    • Taxicabs must have a franchise granted by the City Department of Transportation
    • Persons operating vehicles that meet all of the following:
      1. Operated exclusively between fixed termini or over regular routes in passenger stage operations
      2. Operated as indicated above under certificate issued by the Public Utilities Commission, AND
      3. Operation has been issued a certificate of public convenience and necessity by the Interstate Commerce Commission
  • Exemption under LAMC Section 21.195, Trucking and Hauling for the following:
    • Persons in the business as for hire motor carrier of property required to pay a fee to the State under the Household Goods Carriers Uniform Business License Tax Act or the Motor Carriers of Property Uniform Fee Act
  • Financial Institutions (Banks, Savings/Loans, etc.) for which "in lieu" taxes are paid to the State of California
  • Credit Unions
  • Government Agencies while carrying out governmental affairs
  • Insurance agents receiving a notice of appointment from insurance companies that pay "in lieu" taxes to the State of California (does not include insurance brokers)
  • Insurers - activities for which "in lieu" taxes are paid to the State of California
  • No nexus businesses - businesses with a physical presence within the City of los Angeles limited to six (6) or less days per calendar year
  • Notaries public
  • Persons who rent three (3) or fewer residential rental units
  • Real estate agent (does not include real estate broker) - exemption under LAMC Section 21.49
  • Religious leaders in their religious capacity
  • Residential care facility for the elderly, which serves six or fewer residents
  • Small family day care home, which serves eight or fewer children
  • Licensed bail bond agents/companies

Additional Information

The detailed municipality information displayed on this page is not a property of America's Building Records (ABR). This information is complied for your convenience from the municipality's official website. For the most up-to-date information please visit their official website.