The information below is taken from the City of Aventura website
The Building Division is responsible for the issuance of building permits for new construction and renovations. The applications are reviewed for compliance with zoning codes, the Florida Building Code and other regulatory agencies. Inspections by qualified, licensed inspectors are required to insure the compliance of construction with code requirements. The City of Aventura would like to stress that it is against state law to do business with an unlicensed contractor.
Hours of Operation
The Building Division's hours of operation are from 8:30 am - 3:30 pm, Monday - Friday, and is located in the City of Aventura Government Center 4th floor.
NOTICE: Florida Building Code Change
Please be advised that the Florida Building Code FIFTH (2014) Edition becomes effective on July 1, 2015. All applications submitted on or before June 30, 2015 may comply with the current 2010 edition of the Florida Building. All permit applications and plans submitted on or after that date must comply with this edition. To view the code online, visit www.floridabuilding.org.
Miami-Dade County Plan Review By Fire and DPERA
Fire Plan Reviews Available Tuesdays Off-Site in Sunny Isles
Effective January 14, 2008, municipal permits applicants who require Miami-Dade Fire Rescue and Department of Permitting, Environment and Regulatory Affairs (DPERA) review need to submit two (2) sets of plans and a municipal intake application to the Permit Records Section. A process number will be assigned and the application will be routed to the appropriate departments for review. Once plan review has been completed, you are notified via telephone or email. Status of review and plan disapproval comments can be tracked by visiting the Building Department's web site at www.miamidade.gov/building.
Effective Friday, September 23, 2016, inspection requests will not be accepted by telephone.
Inspection requests can be completed:
- By fax at 305-466-8949, or
- In person at the Building Division counter during its hours of operation from 8:30 am - 3:30 pm, Monday - Friday.
How can I expedite the review of my permit?
- Provide a completed application, including notarized signatures of the owner and qualifier.
Forms: Permit Application | Permit Fee Schedule
- Submit two (2) sets of plans drawn to scale and signed and sealed by a professional when required by Code.
- Submit two (2) surveys as required for some types of review.
- Provide two (2) sets of calculations as required by Code - these may include energy calculations, heating/cooling load calculations, and/or structural load calculations.
- Provide two (2) sets of Product Approvals as required by Code - these may include roofs, utility sheds, windows, exterior doors, awnings, shutters, skylights, trusses, etc.
- Remember to submit a letter from your condo association approving work being done at your unit with your permit applications.
When is a permit required?
Section 105 of Florida Building Code: Permits
Helpful Building Permit Information for Condominium Associations
A permit ensures the consumer that the work is being done properly and with the appropriate materials. A licensed contractor is required to obtain permits in the following situations:
- General maintenance and repairs exceeding $500 in labor and materials for projects modifying a building's existing structure in any way (including tile, wood flooring and marble);
- Any electrical work, including installation of ceiling fans;
- Replacement of an air conditioner unit;
- Installation of a water heater;
- Changing a toilet or a sink fixture.
- Please contact the Building Division at 305-466-8937 if you should have any questions as to whether a permit is required.
Please review the following documents before starting any residential re-roofing.
Commercial Re-Roofing: If work done is greater than 160 square-feet, plans approved by DPERA prior to submission to the City of Aventura.
If you are dissatisfied with a Contractor you have hired, Miami-Dade can help.
Are there any other regulatory agency approvals required for permitting?
The following regulatory agencies may need to review and approve plans prior to the issuance of a permit by the City:
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department
11805 S.W. 26th Street
Miami, FL 33175
Miami-Dade County Department of Permitting, Environment and Regulatory Affairs (DPERA)
Miami Dade Department of Health
To find the nearest location:
1725 NW 167 ST
Miami, FL 33056
305-623-3500 Septic Tanks
Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Department
3575 South Lejeune Road
Miami, FL 33233-0316
North Miami Beach Public Services Department
17050 NE 19 Avenue
North Miami Beach, FL 33162