Municipality Location and General Contact Information

2500 E Lake Ave
Glenview IL 60026
Building Department information for Village of Glenview, IL

Available Blueprints and Building Plans from America’s Building Records.
Use the map below to find and request drawings.

Want to make your building plans available here? Join ABR.

Village of Glenview, IL - Building Department Information

The following Building Department information is available for Village of Glenview, IL

Building and Related Codes and Amendments

last updated on 1.6.2020

The Village currently follows the Building Codes listed below:

Village Municipal Code

  • Municipal Code (all of the Village of Glenview's Legal Municipal Code)
  • Land Use Table -- identifies what uses are permitted in the Village's various zoning districts (Section 98-84)

Fee Ordinance

Building Regulations

Construction CRM Sales Follow-up
Learn more about iDeal Construction CRM and Sales Follow-up

Appearance Code Design Guidelines



Structural Alterations


The Glen Town Center

Regulatory and Corridor Plans

Village Engineering Standards

Permit Information and Forms


When is a permit required?

How do I apply for a Building Permit?

Building permit tip sheets

Permitted construction hours

Contact Inspectional Services

Contact the Inspectional Services Division at (847) 904-4340 or by email to .

Codes and amendments

Specific building regulations, code amendments or ordinances can be found on the Ordinances and Codes webpage.

Inspection information

Vacant property

The Village considers buildings to be vacant if they remain boarded or in a state of deterioration for more than six months and/or no longer have a current property listing contract. As such, they are detrimental to public health and safety, contribute to the decrease in value of surrounding properties, precipitate disinvestment by neighboring owners, provide a location for criminal activity and undermine the aesthetic character of the neighborhood and the Village.

It is the obligation of the owner of a vacant property, per Village ordinance, to register the property and to implement a maintenance plan. The form below must be filled out and a $200 application fee paid.

Licensing Information

Business License

Per Chapter 22, Article I, Section 22-2, business licenses are required for all businesses which have locations within the corporate limits of the Village of Glenview. A new business license is required upon establishment, change of location, or change of ownership, and must be obtained prior to opening or relocating in Glenview. Local regulations and the full text of this ordinance can be found on the Municode website here: Chapter 22, Article I, Section 22-2: Licenses

The Village of Glenview uses the same application form for both business licensing and business registration. This form is available online here: Business License Application.

New businesses can pay for their licenses here: New Business License Payment

Businesses subject to the annual restaurant inspection fee can pay here: Annual Restaurant Inspection Fee Payment

Certificate of occupancy

Upon the completion of any building, or any addition or alteration to an existing structure wherein a change of use is intended, the general contractor will request an occupancy certificate, for which application will have been made coincidental with the application for a building permit. If, on final inspection, the building is found to conform to the requirements of all codes and ordinances of the Village, a certificate of occupancy shall be issued by the development department stating such fact and shall set forth the purpose for which the building is to be occupied. No occupancy will be permitted without an occupancy permit. There shall be no fee for said certificate of occupancy.

If a change of use of any building or structure is contemplated that does not involve a building or remodeling operation, the owner or tenant shall apply for a certificate of occupancy permit. The director of development or his/her designee shall cause an inspection to be made of the premises and, if such building is found to comply with fire and safety provisions of all codes and ordinances of the Village, a certificate of occupancy permit shall be issued stating such fact and shall set forth the purpose for which the structure is to be occupied. The fee for the certificate of occupancy shall be equal to the initial business registration or license fee as provided in Section 22-5 of the Municipal Code.

If any building is occupied in violation of this section, it shall forthwith be subject to notice from the director of development or his/her designee and shall be vacated on such notice and shall not again be occupied until made to conform with the provisions of this chapter, nor until after the issuance of the certificate of occupancy.

Annual inspections

Inspections are conducted annually by the Village's Inspectional Services Division, located at Glenview Village Hall, 2500 East Lake Avenue.

The best way to minimize fire losses and prevent injuries is to keep them from occurring in the first place. Our fire inspectors administer the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Life Safety Code and the International Building Code (IBC) in all commercial, institutional and multifamily buildings. In addition to routine inspections of existing buildings, our inspectors assure code compliance during the construction permit process for remodeling and new construction.

Contractor License

Contractor requirements

Contractor Fee Bond Documents
General $50 $25,000 Certificate of Insurance (General Liability, Work. Comp and Auto if app)
Electrician $35 $25,000 Copy of Electric License
Roofer $35 n/a Copy of State Roofing License
Fire Alarm n/a n/a Copy of State License
Fire Sprinkler n/a n/a Copy of State License
Plumber n/a n/a Copy of State License 055 License
All other Subcontractors:Carpenter, Concrete, Excavator, HVAC, Mason, Plasterer/Drywall, Paver, or Sign Contractor $35 n/a n/a

As of January 1, 2012, a Letter of Intent (as per 225 ILCS 320.37) must be submitted with any project application listing a plumber. The letter shall be written on the licensed plumber of record’s business stationery and shall include the license holder’s signature and, if the license holder is incorporated, the license holder’s corporate seal. If the license holder is not incorporated, the letter must be notarized.

These and other forms can be faxed to (847) 724-1752.

Contact the Inspectional Services Division at (847) 904-4330 with questions.

Tree Removal Permit

All landmark trees in the Village are protected. Landmark trees are defined as trees that are 16 inches or more in diameter at breast height, which is measured 4.5 feet above the ground, and are of a high quality species, such as oaks, hickories or maples. Other trees that are a lesser quality species, such as cottonwood and box elder, must be 20 inches or more in diameter at breast height in order to be protected.

A tree removal permit issued through the Inspectional Services Division is required before any landmark tree can be removed on private property. Justification for removal must be provided.

Call (847) 904-4340 for more information.

Additional Information

The detailed municipality information displayed on this page is not a property of America's Building Records (ABR). This information is complied for your convenience from the municipality's official website. For the most up-to-date information please visit their official website.