Municipality Location and General Contact Information

600 Harvest Gate
Lake in the Hills IL 60156
Building Department information for Village of Lake in the Hills, IL

Available Blueprints and Building Plans from America’s Building Records.
Use the map below to find and request drawings.

Want to make your building plans available here? Join ABR.

Village of Lake in the Hills, IL - Building Department Information

The following Building Department information is available for Village of Lake in the Hills, IL

Building and Related Codes and Amendments

The Village of Lake in the Hills Community Development Department has adopted new building codes and amendments that went into effect on October 1, 2012.  Our codes are as follows:

  • 2012 International Building Code
  • 2012 International Residential Code
  • 2012 International Mechanical Code
  • 2012 International Fire Code
  • 2012 International Energy Conservation Code
  • 2012 International Property Maintenance Code
  • 2011 National Electric Code
  • 1997 State of Illinois Accessibility Code
  • 2004 State of Illinois Plumbing Code
  • Lake in the Hills Amendments to the above codes

The Lake in the Hills Community Development Department, Building and Zoning Division has developed brochures that explain the requirements for most building and zoning procedures. We welcome you to stop in or call (847) 960-7440 for information on a subject that might interest you.

Additional Links

Permit Information and Forms

Obtaining a Building Permit

Information about the building permit process can be found below.  When you are ready to begin the process, complete the application, attach the appropriate documentation and bring it to the Community Development Department at the Village Hall, 600 Harvest Gate.   Upon approval of the application, a fee for the permit will be assessed.

  1. Determine whether a permit is necessary.
  2. Check zoning regulations, setbacks, clearances, etc.
  3. Check relevant Village Ordinances. The Community Development Department has handouts with specific procedures for many types of permits.
  4. Homeowners should have their projects approved by their Homeowner’s Association. Village approval is based on relevant codes and zoning and is not contingent on Homeowner's Association regulations or approvals.
  5. Homeowners may do many of their own construction projects.
  6. A Contractor must be licensed by the Village of Lake in the Hills to work in the Village. The Community Development Department maintains a current list of licensed contractors in the Village.  As this list changes almost daily, we ask that you contact the Community Development Department directly at (847) 960-7440 to check if a contractor is licensed with the Village before you hire.
  7. Please visit the Community Development Department to obtain the appropriate Building Permit Applications and/or Project Requirement Brochures.
  8. If you are not sure whether you need a permit, please call the Community Development Department at (847) 960-7440.
  9. Permits for an air conditioner, furnace, roofing/siding, water heater and water softener may be applied for on-line at the link below.

Forms, Permits, and Applications

Additional Resources

Projects Requiring a Permit

Permits are required for construction of any type, including all new construction, any building addition and any remodeling that changes a building's structure, plumbing, electrical, or heating systems.  The Village also requires a permit for the projects listed below.  Please contact the Community Development Department at (847) 960-7440 with any questions you may have.

  • A/C Units
  • Decks
  • Decorative Yard  Ponds
  • Demolition
  • Detached Garage
  • Driveways
  • Fences
  • Fireplaces
  • Furnaces
  • Gazebos (Accessory Structure)
  • Generators
  • Lawn Sprinkler
  • Patios (Walkways/ Stoops - Concrete or Pavers)
  • Pergolas (Accessory Structure)
  • Piers

Licensing Information

Business Registration

Because each business establishment located in the Village is a basic part of and affects the physical and economic well being of the Village, such business establishments shall in all respects be in full compliance with the provisions of Chapter 32 of the Lake in the Hills Municipal Code. The regulations are designed to keep a current listing of businesses operating in the Village, aid the Police Department in its responsibilities, ensure zoning compliance and provide a cross check of sales tax collections.

For this reason, businesses must be registered with the Village before being able to engage in businesses or business activities.

Home Based Businesses

Home based businesses will need to confirm that they are in compliance with the Home Occupation Regulations, see link below, of the Zoning Ordinance. If so, then simply apply for a business license online using our Public Portal at the link below. Once approved you will receive a Business License from the Community Development Department.

Commercial Businesses

If your business is leasing, buying, or constructing a building, there are two applications that must be submitted in order to begin operating your business in the Village, the Commercial Occupancy Application and the Business & Vending Registration Application.

Prior to submitting the application for commercial occupancy, there are specific steps to take to ensure that your business is in compliance with Village Code.

  1. Determine if the location you’ve chosen is zoned for the type of business or use(s) you’ve planned. Find the zoning of the property on the Village Zoning Map, and look up the use(s) on the Permitted and Conditional Use Chart of our Zoning Ordinance. If you need assistance, contact the Community Development Department at 847-960-7440 to discuss zoning issues and processes.
  2. Determine if your business falls under the requirements for a food business or a business that sells alcohol:
    • If you are planning a food business, contact the McHenry County Health Department for its requirements before you proceed. Community Development requires County approval before approving a Building Permit or Certificate of Occupancy for a food business.
    • If your business will be selling alcohol, you should review Chapter 33 “Liquor Control and Licensing” of the Municipal Code and then submit a Liquor License Application, along with all required attachments and the $500.00 Application Fee to the Administration Department. If you have any questions regarding Liquor Licensing, please contact the Administration Department at 847-960-7410.
  3. Determine if you need to make building improvements. If so, submit a Building Permit Application with architectural plans showing construction, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems to the Community Development Department for review. Please note that all contractors must be licensed to do work in the Village. As part of our review, we will ask for fire district inspection and approval. If approved, a Building Permit will be issued noting necessary inspections, including a final inspection.
  4. Determine if you want to hang a sign for your business. If so, you need to submit a Sign Permit Application and plans for your sign that are in compliance with Village sign regulations.

Once you’ve followed these steps and completed any necessary building improvements, you can submit a Commercial Occupancy Application and Business & Vending Registration Application online through the Public Portal by using the link below. Community Development will then inspect the building to ensure that it complies with our building codes and is ready for occupancy. If approved, they will issue a Certificate of Occupancy and Business License so that you can open your doors for business. 

Additional Links

Additional Information

The detailed municipality information displayed on this page is not a property of America's Building Records (ABR). This information is complied for your convenience from the municipality's official website. For the most up-to-date information please visit their official website.