Whether you are a new or existing business, the Village of Lisle looks forward to working with you through the development process. It is important to contact the Community and Economic Development Department at the beginning of your planning process so that village staff can guide you efficiently through the process.
Occupancy of Existing Tenant Space
If you are a new or existing business seeking to occupy / renovation an existing tenant space, a Building Permit (PDF) and/or an Occupancy Permit (PDF) may be required. Staff encourages you to contact the Community and Economic Development Department at 630-271-4150 to check the zoning of the property and permitting requirements prior to submittal.
New Construction, Building Additions, & Exterior Site Work
For a brief overview of the zoning and permit approval process, including fees for new construction, building additions, or exterior site modifications, please view the Development Approval Process (PDF) informational document.
Planning and Zoning Approval
Building Permit Approval
- It is recommended that you contact the Community and Economic Development Department at the beginning of your planning process and prior to submittal, to determine whether or not a pre-application meeting is required. Please contact the Community and Economic Development Department at 630-271-4169.
- Submit the required application packet including all materials noted in the plan and fee submittal requirements section of the application (view the Planning and Zoning Commission Forms page). If applicable, refer to your pre-application meeting checklist for required submittals and fees. Skip to step 6 under Building Permit Approvals when consideration by Planning and Zoning Commission and/or Village Board is not required.
- Your completed application packet will be forwarded to village staff for review and comment. Copies of any comments will be provided and may necessitate revisions to plans prior to the scheduling of a Planning and Zoning Commission and/or Village Board meeting.
- Staff will work with the applicant to schedule a public hearing / meeting before the Planning and Zoning Commission. Once a hearing / meeting date has been scheduled, village staff will complete all required public notices (mailed notice, sign on property, and newspaper publication) on the petitioner’s behalf.
- Following a public hearing / meeting and recommendation by the Planning and Zoning Commission, the case will be scheduled for Village Board consideration.
Construction & Site Work
- An applicant may choose to submit a Building Permit Application (PDF) for review simultaneously with Planning and Zoning Approvals (at risk pending zoning approval) or after Planning and Zoning approvals have been secured.
- Upon submittal of a completed Building Permit Application, plans will be forwarded to village staff for review and comment. When consideration by the Planning and Zoning Commission and/or Village Board is not required, engineering plans shall be submitted as part of the building permit. No permits will be issued until all necessary approvals have been obtained from village staff and all fees have been paid.
- At the request of the applicant, a Foundation Only Permit may be approved by the Village Board at a regular meeting.
Final Occupancy / Business License or Registration
- Prior to the release of a Building Permit, a Pre-Construction Meeting with village staff may be required as identified during the review process.
- Inspections may be scheduled by contacting the Community and Economic Development Department at 630-271-4150.
- Once all inspections have been completed and passed, prior to operating a Business License / Business Registration may be required prior to operating.