The Village of Lombard requires a building permit for all new structures. The online application is a fillable form. Please type in the project information and print the application to add your signature.
In addition, the Village also requires permits for commercial or residential alterations and renovations, such as: building additions, decks, driveways, patios, electrical alterations or improvements, fire protection equipment (alarms or sprinklers), garages, plumbing, pools, porch/patio enclosures, windows and fences. However, such items as replacing interior doors, and fixtures, (to existing size only, no structural change), and private walkways do not require a permit, but may need to meet certain standards established by the Village of Lombard. The departments listed below should be consulted prior to the start of any construction activity.
The Village has handouts available online on some popular projects that require permits.
When planning a construction project, bear in mind that the plan review process involves contact with one of more of the departments listed below. Fees are calculated at the end of the building permit review.
APPLICATION & PERMIT REQUIREMENTS
A permit application is needed for all building permits and applications are available at the Village Hall. The application can be completed by the property owner, general contractor, or contractor. All relevant information must be filled in, and all contractor requirements must be on file with Village’s Building Division prior to issuance of the building permit. In addition, the application needs to be attached to the plat of survey and drawing requirements stated below.
2) Driveway/Fence Permits
3) Permits such as sheds, porches, decks, pools, & small remodels:
- • 3 copies of the Plat of Survey are needed to obtain a driveway or fence permit. Please indicate on the copies of the Plat of Survey where the driveway or fence is intended to go. In most cases, driveway and fence permits are issued immediately and do not need to be taken in.
4) Single Family Residence Permits
- 3 copies of the Plat of Survey showing current boundary lines, existing structures, proposed structures easements, and right-of-ways.
- 3 copies of architecturally stamped & sealed construction drawings (for all structural improvements, projects $10,000 or more estimated value.)
- Site Plan (if applicable) with structural dimensions and location.
- Electrical, mechanical, and plumbing diagrams when alterations or improvements are made.
5. All Other Properties
- ** 3 copies of current Plat of Survey showing current boundary lines, existing structures, proposed structures, easements, and right-of-ways.
- ** 3 copies of architecturally stamped & sealed construction drawings (for all structural improvements)
- ** 4 copies of Site Plans
- ** 3 sets electrical, mechanical, and plumbing diagrams. Architecturally stamped & sealed drawings.
- * * 3 sets Landscape drawings (if applicable)
- * * Six (6) copies of final engineering drawings, must be signed and sealed by Registered Professional Engineer; drawings need to show proposed drainage; grading and topographical ground contours; all proposed utilities with elevations; all proposed right-of-way improvements; must show existing drainage conditions; proposed driveway, garage, or home location; proposed foundation elevations; and show erosion control;
- ** Topographical survey must be prepared by a Registered Land Surveyor; all existing utilities with elevations; existing public right-of-way improvements.
- ** 1 set plans showing building elevations to verify building height.
• Driveways should be established with a 2% minimum and 8% maximum slope;
• Finished grading is a minimum 6” below top of foundation;
• Location of gutters, down spouts, and sump pump discharge must be indicated; & splash to grade
• Additions, garages, and sheds will be reviewed; engineering and/or topographical surveys may be required.
- Storm water detention as per DuPage County's Countywide Storm Water Management Ordinance, as applicable, or as more restrictive per Chapter 151 of the Municipal Code.
- ** Items are also applicable for non-residential properties in addition to the items listed on the next page.
- Storm water detention as per DuPage County's countywide Storm Water Management Ordinance, as applicable, or as more restrictive per Chapter 151 of the Municipal Code. The permit application can be completed here.
- All plans must be prepared, signed, and sealed by a Registered Professional Engineer
- Engineering calculations for storm water detention must be prepared, signed, and sealed by a Registered Professional Engineer
- Clearly identify all proposed improvements;
- Engineers estimated costs
Reflect public right-of-way improvements and restoration;
All improvements associated with storm water facility
- Erosion Control
- Letter of Credit Required for Public Improvements
Specific procedures for the installation, or modifications, of fire suppression and detection systems are required. Procedural instructions are issued from this office.
The Fire Prevention Bureau is required to witness the testing of all systems as prescribed by the adopted Codes and referenced NFPA Standards of the Village of Lombard.