Section 11.901 of the Village Code requires all contractor’s to be licensed by the Village of Mount Prospect before beginning any project.
The following is an overview of some of the contractor licensing requirements:
- Roofing, fire alarm/sprinkler, and plumbing contractors must submit a copy of their current Illinois State Registration and state bond to obtain their Village license, which is issued at no charge.
- All other general and sub-contractors must pay a fee of $50 for their license which is good for 365 days.
- Electrical contractors must submit a copy of their current registration to obtain a Village license.
Licenses are valid for one (1) year from the date of issuance.
Click here for a Contractor License Application, or stop by the Building Division on the second floor of the Village Hall.
All businesses operating within the Village of Mount Prospect must maintain a current Business License or Certificate, with the exception of Home Occupations. Contractors working within the Village, regardless of office location, must have a current Contractors License. Both the Business License and Business Certificate programs ensure proper inspection and safety information is maintained for your business. The licensing process also ensures that your business complies with various Village Ordinances/Regulations. For existing businesses, active business licenses/certificates must be maintained on an annual basis. The Finance Department mails renewal letters at the beginning of the calendar year.
Complete a Business License or Certificate Application when:
- Opening a new business
- When your existing business changes locations - even suites within the same building
- When your business has a change in ownership or legal name
- When there is a change in the business' square footage, either a reduction or expansion
Be sure to read the Business License Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to understand the business license process, and for contact information to schedule the required inspections.
Business License Application - This application form is applicable for most businesses and must be filled out completely to avoid delay in processing.
Business Certificate Application - If your business is regulated by the State of Illinois, a Business Certificate is required. A copy of your current State License must be submitted to the Village with the Business Certificate Application.
Food and Beverage Tax Return Form - Businesses that sell food and beverage must pay the Village's food and beverage tax. Complete this form and submit to the Finance Department on a monthly basis.
Certain types of uses require addendums to be submitted with the Business License/Certificate Application.
Vending Machine Addendum – For all businesses that have any coin operated devices on site, such as games, juke boxes, coin-turn (candy, gum, etc.), soda machines, coin-operated laundry, and similar machines.
Massage Therapy Addendum – Article XXXIX of the Village Code details restrictions and requirements related to Massage Therapy establishments. This addendum shall be submitted with the standard Business License application.