Municipality Location and General Contact Information

425 E State St
Rockford IL 61104
Building Department information for City of Rockford, IL

Available Blueprints and Building Plans from America’s Building Records.
Use the map below to find and request drawings.

Want to make your building plans available here? Join ABR.

City of Rockford, IL - Building Department Information

The following Building Department information is available for City of Rockford, IL

Building and Related Codes and Amendments

NOTE: The administrative section of each code varies between participating communities.

2015 ICC [IBC] International Building Code (with local amendments)
2015 ICC [IEBC] International Existing Building Code (with local amendments)
2015 ICC [IRC] International Residential Code for 1 & 2 Family Dwellings (with local amendments)


The stricter of the following codes must be followed:
1997 CDB [IAC] Illinois Accessibility Code (April 24, 1997) (click here for a link to download a copy of code)

2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design (click here for a link to the code and reference material)

NOTE: Existing bathrooms located in areas where renovations will take place will be required to meet ADA bathroom requirements

See City of Rockford amendments to the 2015 IEBC Section 101.9. This applies to level 2 and level 3 alterations.

Energy Code

2015 ICC [IECC] International Energy Conservation Code as adopted by the Illinois Energy Efficient Building Act.

(2015 state amendments)

(2012-2015 summary of State of Illinois changes)

Construction CRM Software
Learn more about iDeal Construction CRM

Fire Prevention

2015 ICC [IFC] International Fire Code(with local amendments)

Electrical/Mechanical / Plumbing

2014 NFPA 70 [NEC] National Electrical Code (with local amendments)

2015 ICC [IMC] International Mechanical Code (with local amendments)

2015 ICC [IFGC] International Fuel Gas Code (with local amendments)

2014 IDPH [IPC] Illinois Plumbing Code (with local amendments) - LINK TO ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEATLH PLUMBING PROGRAM

Property Standards/Existing Structures

2015 ICC [IMPC] International Property Maintenance Code (with local amendments)

Swimming Pool

2015 ICC [ISPC] International Swimming Pool Code (with local amendments)

Permit Information and Forms

Permits are required for construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition for every building or structure or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures and their accessory structures. Please see the amendments for exemptions.

Building Permit Applications:

Other Applications:

Driveway Permit Application for 1 & 2 Family Properties

Dumpster Enclosure Permit Application

Dumpster Enclosure Waiver Request Form

Fire Protection Systems

Fence Permit Application

Home Occupation Application

Parking Lot Permit Application

Permanent Sign Permit Application

Roofing Permit Application

Siding Permit Application

Temporary Light Pole Sign Permit Application

Temporary Sign Permit Application

Tent / Carnival Permit Application

Other Forms and Information:

Building Code Amendments - LINK

Construction Document Submittal Checklist

Driveway Permit Bulletin / Handout / Flyer

Energy Code Checklist

Express Review Process Information

Historic Preservation Forms - LINK

Inspection Checklist

Zoning Forms and Information:

Site Plan Example

Subdivision Ordinance

Subdivision Plat Application

Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) Application

Zoning Confirmation Letter

Zoning Maps - LINK

Zoning Ordinance

Zoning Ordinance Text Amendment Application

Special Use Permit Renewal Application

Licensing Information

In General
The City of Rockford does not require every business to have a general business license. However, there are specific businesses which do require a license. Click on the Licenses & Fees link below to see a list of businesses that the City licenses. Those operating a business from their homes within the City limits may require a home occupation's license from the Zoning Division. Those setting up temporary stands require an itinerant merchant's license through the Property Standards Division. Door-to-door sales require a solicitors license and should be advised that they can not go to places posted "no soliciting" and must solicit between the hours of 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. Soliciting business on public ways is not permitted. Liquor licenses and special events are handled through the Legal Department.

Licenses/Permits and Fees
The Revenue Division is responsible for issuing the business licenses listed below. Clicking on the license type will take you to a new page with a description of the license, a printable application, and a link to current, applicable fees.

Alarm User Permit
Building Demolition
Christmas Trees
Going Out of Business
Horse Drawn Carriage
Junk Yard
Mall Vending
Outdoor Advertising
Outdoor/Sidewalk Cafe
Outdoor Vehicle Sale
Petroleum Products
Second Hand Merchandise
Rotating Wrecker
Scavenger Trucks
Solicitors and Peddlers
Taxi Cabs
Taxi Drivers

General and Mechanical
Bowling Alleys
Movie Theaters
Skating Rinks
Video Gaming

Other aspects of new businesses are handled by governmental agencies outside of the City. To register a business name, contact the Winnebago County Clerk's office. Tax identification numbers are issued by the Illinois Department of Revenue.

Fee Schedule
A comprehensive fee schedule is approved by City Council annually as part of the budget process. Fees are adjusted annually as needed.

Transfer of License/Location
Requests for the transfer of a license or a location change should be made it writing to the City Legal Department for approval and forwarding to the appropriate departments. Not all licenses are transferable.

License Fees
Fees are payable upon application. Delinquent renewal penalties of 20% after 30 days and 50% after 60 days are provided for fees covered under Chapter 5 of the City Code.

Certificate of Insurance
The City of Rockford must be the certificate holder on certificates of insurance. An original certificate (or fax thereof) needs to be on file in our office. Amounts should be checked against ordinance requirements.

Licenses expire January 31 unless otherwise noted. Renewal notices are sent the first working day of the month of expiration. Overdue notices are sent 30 and 60 days after expiration of those licenses whose fees are covered under Chapter 5.

Application Forms/Ordinances
An application form can be obtained online by clicking on the appropriate links under each license type. The applicable ordinances can be found in the City's Code of Ordinances.

Additional Information

The detailed municipality information displayed on this page is not a property of America's Building Records (ABR). This information is complied for your convenience from the municipality's official website. For the most up-to-date information please visit their official website.