Permits are required by Village Code. Permits and inspections are required for the protection of public health, safety, and welfare. The Village inspection staff enforces adopted codes to assure that the construction is safe and in compliance. Projects not built to Village standards may have a negative impact on the sale of your home and on insurance costs.
Permit records are public information available in the Community Development Department and can be accessed by citizens by following simple procedures. The property owner of record, with proof of ownership such as a driver's license, title insurance policy, etc., can view their own property records. Requests for property information from non-owners must be filed under the Freedom of Information Act through the Village Manager's Office.
A building permit is required when the project involves new construction, alterations, or an addition to your building. Additional projects that require a permit include new or replacement of the following:
- Plumbing or electrical systems
- Electric outlets and fixtures
- Mechanical work such as furnaces, central air conditioning, hot tubs, or whirlpools
- Garages, fences, decks, patios, or storage sheds
- Swimming pools (above or in-ground)
- Flood control systems
- Signage or changes to existing signs
- Paving, sidewalks, and driveways (approved by Civil Engineering)
- Windows* (if size of opening is modified or any window that protrudes from face of wall)
You do not need a permit for:
- Exterior or interior painting
- Installation of siding, gutters and downspouts
- A new roof
- Window replacement* (same size opening)
*Glass block in residential occupancies is permitted provided that required light and ventilation amounts are maintained. Safety glazing to be installed where required by 2012 International Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings.
If you are unsure if your project needs a permit call the Building & Zoning Division staff at 847/933-8223. Click here to view the hidden major costs of residential remodeling and additions.
For information regarding your permit via email
To download Community Development forms, permits and applications, click here.
The Village's building permit process can be summarized in these five steps:
- Obtain a permit application and Zoning Information worksheet at the Building Division or by downloading a copy by clicking the link above.
- Return the completed application with the required plans and plats of survey. Both the owner and the contractor must sign the application. The counter staff will check the application for completeness. All contractors must be currently licensed and bonded.
- Staff will review the plans. Small projects such as garages, fences, and decks can be reviewed and permits issued in 3-5 working days. Projects may require approval from the Appearance Commission, Plan Commission, or Zoning Board of Appeals prior to issuing a Building Permit.
- Once a permit has been issued, permitted work may begin. Please display the issued permit placard in a street-facing window so it is visible from the street.
- Call for inspections. Final inspection requests are required to be in writing. Required site inspections are written on the permit placard. Inspections are required to assure that the construction is completed according to code and the approved plans. It is your responsibility to schedule all required Village inspections during and after construction.
Amusement, Food Vending and Tobacco Products License Application
Appearance Commission Application
Artist Application Form (Public Arts Advisory Committee)
Automatic Bank Payment Authorization Form
Birth Certificate Record
Block Party Application
Building Codes Adopted by the Village of Skokie
Building or Right-of-Way Permit Application
Carrier Watch Program Application
Certificate of Occupancy Application
Change of Contractor Form
Citizens Fire Academy
ComEd Claim Form
Condominium Conversion Application
Contractor Registration Form
Death Certificate Record
Downtown Furnishings Request Form
Electrical Work Permit Application
Food Permit Forms and Applications
Freedom of Information Act Request (or click here for more information)
Garage Sale Permits
Film Permit (Commercial)
Family Emergency Communications Plan
Fence/Sidewalk/Driveway/Shed/Detached Garage/Deck Permit Application
Food and Beverage Tax Form
Fourth of July Parade Application
Fuel Tax Form (Local
Home Improvement Program Application
Hotel/Motel Tax Return
Hotel/Motel Tax Return - September 2014 and After
Lawn Sprinkler Application
Outdoor Dining Permit Application
Parking Determination Petition
Plan Review Application
Preliminary Plan Review Application
Public Way Obstruction or Use Permit Application
Real Estate Transfer Tax Form
Request for Final Inspection Form
Residential Yard Drainage Assistance Program Form
Share Cost Parkway Tree Program
Please contact the Village Forester at 847/933-8427 for program details
Sign Permit Application
Solicitation Permit Applications:
Special Events Application
Special Use Permit/Site Plan Approval Petition Form
Simple Subdivision/Dedication Form
Subdivision/Dedication Petition Form
Teen Link Program
Transient Merchant License
Vacation of a Public Street or Alley Petition Form
Zoning Chapter Amendment Petition Form
Zoning Information Worksheet
Zoning Map Amendment Petition Form
Zoning Verification Letter Application