Any person(s), business, or organization conducting business inside the city limits of Hillsboro is required to obtain a business license. 5.04.02
STEP ONE: Determining The Type Of Business
The City of Hillsboro Has Four Primary Classifications of Businesses.
- Resident Commercial business – consists of any non-residential storefront location that resides within the City of Hillsboro’s jurisdiction.
- Home Occupation business – includes any business owner residing in the City of Hillsboro, who is not opening a commercial location. Includes Mobile Vendors residing in the City of Hillsboro.
- Non-Resident business - any person(s), company, or organization primarily based outside Hillsboro’s city limits, that travel into the City of Hillsboro to conduct business or provide service. Includes Mobile Vendors residing outside the City of Hillsboro.
- Non-Profit/ Exempt Organization- any not for profit organization operating in the City of Hillsboro that can claim tax exempt status and/or provide a 501(c)3 form.
*If you are uncertain which jurisdiction your business resides in, please verify your address in the Address Inquiry provided. Hillsboro Maps
STEP TWO: Obtaining The Necessary Applications
General Business License Application:
Home Occupation Application:
Mobile / Temporary Business Permit Application:
- Aplicación en Español
- Supplements all mobile vendors OR businesses that will operate less than 90 days
- Includes: Ice cream trucks, Taco trucks, Food stands, Christmas tree stands, Firework stands, Fruit, Flower or Vegetable stands, etc.
Background Verification Form:
- Supplements all specially regulated or reviewed businesses
- Includes: Second Hand Dealers, Pawn Shops, Antique Dealers, Firearms Dealers, Paycheck Cashing Stores, Armed Security Services
Exempt Business Certification Application:
- Aplicación en Español
- Required for all exempt organizations operating in the City of Hillsboro
- Must include a 501(c)3 form or any supporting documentation showing current tax exempt status
STEP THREE: Determining The Total Cost
The Business License base fee is $105.00. The base fee includes the first 2 people associated with the business. Each additional person associated with the business is $5.00 per person. There is no additional charge after 147 employees, leaving a limit on employee fees of $725.00. Employee fees are calculated on a full time equivalent basis. Example: 2 half time employees would equal 1 full time employee and constitute a single $5.00 increase.
Rental/Property Management Companies
The Business License base fee is $105.00. This includes the first 3 Rental units. Each additional rental unit is $5.00 per unit. There is no additional charge after 148 units, leaving a limit on rental unit fees of $725.00.
Supplemental Business Permits
When applicable, a portion of the general business license fee will be waived to accommodate the cost of the supplemental permits and ensure the total base fee remains $105.00
Businesses located downtown Hillsboro between South 1st Ave and SE 4th Ave and NE Lincoln St and SE Baseline St, will be assessed an additional $25.00 fee plus $2.50 for each additional co-owner or employee.
STEP FOUR: Submitting Your Applications
General Commercial Businesses
Submit application with a check or money order via mail, for same week processing. The license will be mailed out the same day as processed.
Bring applications to the 1st floor of the City of Hillsboro Civic Center, for same day processing. We accept cash, check, money order, Visa and MasterCard.
Home Occupation Businesses | Mobile & Temporary Business Permit
Submit applications with a check or money order via mail for same week processing. Upon approval of the Home Occupation Permit or Mobile/Temporary Permit application, an account will be created and a license will be mailed out the same day as processed.
Bring applications into the City of Hillsboro Civic Center for same day processing. Submit the permit application at the 4th Floor Planning Department reception. Upon approval of the Home Occupation or Mobile/Temporary permit, bring a copy of the approved application down to the 1st floor reception and submit the permit along with the General Business License application, for same day processing.
Regulated & Reviewed Businesses
Submit the General Business License application and the Background Verification application via mail. Upon approval of the background information application, the applicant will be contacted for payment arrangements. This process takes approximately 10 business days.
Submit the General Business and Background Verification applications to the Hillsboro Civic Center, 1st floor reception. Upon approval of the background information application, the applicant will be contacted for payment arrangements. This process takes approximately 10 business days.
Where to Send Applications
Please mail your application(s) to:
City of Hillsboro
Attn: Business Licenses
150 E Main St.
Hillsboro OR, 97123
Starting a business in the State of Oregon: http://www.oregon.gov/Pages/menutopic/business/bus_dev_starting.aspx
Starting a business in Washington County: http://www.co.washington.or.us/ForBusiness.cfm
For more information on Business Licenses or to obtain a Business License Application, please call 503-681-6408 or 503-681-6438. For information on the internet contact please email us.